Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying

Dear Munchkin,

You've given us quite a scare.

I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow.  At my regular doctor's appointment today, my OB first said that I really had gained more than she'd like (nearly 8 lbs in 5 weeks) and suggested that I cut milk and fruit except strawberries and blueberries and the occasional 1/2 banana, and change up my exercise routine.  Then she measured fundal height and said I'm measuring small - only 31 weeks.  So she sent me down the hall for an ultrasound, which showed 3 things:  You are breech (instead of having your head down, you are sitting with your tuchus down and your feet and head up).  You are indeed small - only 4 lbs., rather than 5.5 lbs which is the norm for 34 weeks.  And you don't have enough amniotic fluid around you.

Since my fluid is low, they can't do an inversion to flip you around.  So unless you flip on your own, I will have to have a scheduled C-section at 39 weeks.  I had my first NST (non-stress test) and my doctor said your heartbeat looked great.  But I'm on modified bed rest, which means no exercise, and I need to lie down on my left side for 30 min twice a day, and I must make sure I feel you move at least every few hours.  My doctor referred me to an MFM (a maternal-fetal medicine doctor, someone who specializes in high-risk pregnancies).  I will see the MFM and my regular doctor every week going forward.

So, baby girl, I'm scared.  I'm hoping and praying that you will be just fine.  I love you, and your Daddy loves you, and your grandparents love you, and we are all praying as hard as we can.  Please be happy and healthy and safe, little one.

love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment